If you’re a junior or senior para athlete or would like to get into para athletics, then you’ve come to the right place. Our friendly and supportive coaches will help you develop your skills for competition or for your own personal development. Our notable athletes include Lindsey Chapman who secured Gold at the Invictus Games in 2017, Scottish Junior International Nathan Blackie, Chris Nash and Heather Rowe.
Our para athletics section began with Martin Cook who came to the Ashdown track with his son in the search of facilities to help his son train. We’ve grown from just focusing on wheelchair racing to include field disciplines too. The section currently has around 20 athletes competing as part of the club.
Poole AC Disability/Para Section Winter Training 2021 – 22.
- At Ashdown Track, Wednesdays 7-8 pm. Training for Wheelchair/Seated Throwers with Mike Long. (Fee £1.50 plus the need to take out club membership.)
- At Ashdown Track, Sundays 12 – 1 and 1 – 2 pm. (Two sessions) For Track athletes on Wheelchairs and Frame Runners; plus para ambulant. (Fee is £1.50 per hour and club membership is required.)
- At other times, where capacity is available, para athletes are included in able-bodied groups, e.g. Sprints with Graeme Gourlay at Ashdown Track on Tuesdays 7.30 – 8.30 or Wednesdays 7 – 8 pm. (Fee is special rate.)
Coaches work with para athletes to develop their skills to progress through various competitions.
Firstly, athletes can test their track and field skills in the Poole AC competition which usually takes place in April and September at the Ashdown track.
At the next level, CPSports (Cerebral Palsy Sports) offers the opportunity to compete against athletes from other clubs. Events could include 5ks and 10ks through to dedicated Athletics Series. A list of events can be found here>>
Our wheelchair athletes can also progress onto British Wheelchair Racing which has seen the likes of David Weir and Hannah Cockroft compete.
Our para athletes compete in a variety of races covering all distances, including:
- The Yeovil 5k series, details here>>
- Bournemouth Marathon Festival (a range of races from 1k to a full marathon), details here>>
- London Mini Marathon (3 miles for U17 athletes), details here>>
Speak to our coaches for details of other races.
We’re a friendly bunch and offer have-a-go sessions to help you decide if athletics is for you. We also have a limited supply of equipment such as wheelchairs.