Men’s Team 2017
By Dave Hicks (Men’s captain)
- DRRL WINNERS 2017!
- Team wins at Blackmore Vale half, Purbeck 10k, Portland 10 mile, Round Rock 10k, Littledown 5 mile, Gold Hill 10k and Boscombe 10k. Leaving us with the best possible points total. 7 points.
- David Broadley won the DRRL individual title with 1st place finishes in the Junction Quarter, Puddletown plod and Purbeck 10k. Plus top 3 finishes in 4 other races leaving him with an outstanding 14 points.
- Top 3 at the London Marathon:
- Richard Swindlehurst 2.40.44, Jack Galloway 2.41.15, Mark Smith 2.41.56.
- North Dorset Marathon Relay winners: Brian Underwood,Matt Ashton, John Bassinder, Dave Hicks in a course record time of 2.30.57.
- Ben Lewis impressed by winning the BMF Supersonic 10k in 34.03
- David Broadley easily won the Egdon Easy in a time of 34.03.
- John Bassinder was handed the D’Urberville dash title after getting lost!
- Jack Galloway showed off his trail running skills by winning the South Wales 100 Miles in just over 24 hours and winning the CTS Dorset Marathon in a time of 3.56.03.
- Bath half marathon : men’s veteran team winners Mark Smith John Bassinder Richard Swindlehurst Dave Hicks.
- Other impressive performances include, Dave Jones running down the whole of Wales in 3 days!
- Barry Miller, Purbeck Marathon 3rd in 3.18.17, Mark Smith, Wimborne 10. 2nd in 56.41. Brian Underwood, Abingdon Marathon. 10th in 2.39.44. Tom Austin, Parliament hill XC. 11th.
- Cross Country season crosses over from last year to this and provides a solid training base for the beginning of each year for many and shows with some of the impressive times throughout the year. Unfortunately we have struggled this year to get numbers out due to injury and other commitments. Hopefully with the new runners and the possibility of second claim we will be able to field a stronger team by the end of the year.
- Generally a very good year after winning the DRRL for the first time in over 15 years with many strong performances throughout… Hopefully this will continue into 2018 especially with the quality runners that have recently joined the club to add to the ones we already have.
Ladies’ Team 2017
By Clare Snape (Ladies’ Captain)
DRRL 4th position due to a slow start to the season but then managed to grab some last minute points with team wins at Gilly Hilly, Gold Hill, Boscombe 10k and Wimborne 10.
Hope to improve on this position for next year and get a competitive ladies team representation for the 2018 season.
- Jo Hanna pretty much dominated the road and off road races with wins at several Races including: Heartbreaker Half, Purbeck 10k, The Beast, Boscombe 10k, Gilly Hilly, Wimborne 10
She was also the only Dorset based female runner to go sub 3 Hours for a marathon at London with a 20 Minute PB.
- New signing Amy Bond has made several podium appearances this season both in the XC and road race league and made an impressive debut for her first half at Bournemouth in 1 hour 29 minutes.
- Sarah Chaloner 2nd lady at Weymouth 10.
- Lesley Moore ran an impressive 3 hours 29 minutes at The New York Marathon.
- Jackie Godden was awarded the DRRL 1st lady in the club award.
- Good for Age Qualification for both Kirstin Hay with a time of 3 hours 41 at the Florence marathon and myself 3 hours 42 at Manchester.
- Kirstin Hay completed 12 Marathons in 12 Months.
- Melissa Courtney lifetime Poole Ac Member, now representing Wales & GB and was part of the winning mixed relay team @ the European XC Championships. She was also named 2017 Welsh Female athlete of the year and has just been selected to represent Wales at the commonwealth games in the 1500m and 5000m.
- Improved turnout by the ladies for the cross country races which we hope to maintain and improve on this season. Senior ladies won the Hampshire Cross Country League with members of the team selected to represent Dorset at the inter county championships in Loughborough on Saturday 10th March 2018.
- Louella Oherlihy qualified for the 2018 FYN ITU Long distance triathlon world championships in Denmark.
- New signing Charlotte Bunch who has joined us from Eastleigh is one to watch with some impressive race times under her belt.